After 70 years of independence, the majority of our workforce is into agriculture. India being an agrarian country, farmers depend on monsoon. Due to the erratic nature of Indian monsoon, farmers utilize groundwater, and it is their primary source of irrigation. Until the 1970s, open wells were used as the main source of water. UNICEF brought the idea of borewell in India, and soon borewell pipes replaced open wells. India has over 30 million borewell pipes. Borewells are human-made wells dug deep into the ground to tap into water-bearing soil, or rock layers termed aquifers.
The Need of borewellIn the initial years, borewell was used primarily for agriculture purposes. Now 75% of the borewell pipes are used for agriculture and rest fulfil the domestic and commercial needs.
There are various other needs of borewell:
- Easy access and usage of groundwater
- The level of contamination in low as the water is below ground and can be accessed via borewell pipes only.
- Fewer chances of accidents and there is no open ground (Hole)
- Less dependency on government supply of water. For, eg, daily water supply by MCD Trucks
- It is a long term solution to water accessibility
- It is an eco- friendly alternative
- It is an economical alternative as it will reduce your water bill and will ensure a consistent supply of water
Types of borewellBorewells can be categorized on various parameters. Two Major parameters are: method Used for borewell and Type of Borewell Pipe used. Method and Machinery Used can vary depending on geological factors and the purpose of borewell. The types of Borewell are:
- Hard Borewell
- Slow Rig and Rotary Rig
- Power Rig
- There are various drilling methods too like Water Jetting, Augur Drilling, Calyx Drilling, Percussion Drilling, Rotary Drilling, Down the Hole Hammering (DTH) Drilling, etc.
- Stainless Steel Pipes
- Brass Pipes
- GI Pipes / Mild Steel Pipes
- PVC (polyvinyl chloride) Pipes
- Un-plasticized Poly Vinyl Chloride Pipes
- PVC Pipes are brittle and tend to crack under pressure; thus, uPVC pipes took over the market after few additives were added to it to withstand weathering and high impact strength.
- uPVC are non-corrosive with glossy smoothness both internally and externally
- They do not support bacterial growth, chemical resistant and are environment-friendly
- Uniform wall thickness
- Easy to transport due to their lightweight
- Hydrostatic Pressure can be easily maintained
- Do not impart color, taste or odor.